Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mighty Mississippi

My parents left this evening but before they did my Dad wanted to take a walk and visit the Mississippi. We drove over to the Ford Parkway bridge on the Minneapolis side and walked around and across it. I only had my phone with me but we had never been there and I saw some interesting things so today cell phone photos will have to do! At least I took the first few with the app that makes them look all "arty" ;-)

We walked across the bridge first... a half naked guy zoomed up into the picture, but that's ok!


It's interesting that you can cross a bridge in the car many, many times and never really appreciate how enormous it really is, and how much work must have gone in to constructing it. When you're underneath it, it's a very different perspective!




We watched the scum floating about in the river and Fiona chattered away about all kinds of things, then we walked a little further down to the lock and dam. Turns out you they have a whole big area that's open to visitors where you can watch the lock and dam working and it's really interesting.

There are two locks, and I think they have some kind of generator in the other part of the river.


The lock on the left was in operation, but not the one on the right.


Boats coming in, waiting...


Here you can see the difference in water levels (and a couple of leaks).


Fiona is getting to be old enough to start understanding and having an interest in things like this, and it was fun to explain to her how locks and dams work and watch her figuring it out. It was a great surprise activity and I bet we'll be back again soon to just walk around and watch the boats.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember during my childhood it was a true treat to go to the Grand Coulee Dam in Washington State. There were so many interesting things to look at and activities to do that explained the purpose of the dam in children terms. It is still a very fond memory, especially when my mother worked there for the US Army Parks and Recreation :)

Hazel said...

We need to explore the cities more. Thanks for the tour!

Can't wait till Blueberry is chattering on about all sorts of things. She does that now but she's speaking in tongues so it's totally lost on me.

Tanya Cothran said...

That's right by Origami Sushi!! Yum. That's the only reason I've explored that area before. :)