Sunday, March 1, 2009

Booties

Fiona and I are leaving for Scotland tomorrow, and I have a really long list of things to get done before we go. So I thought, what better time than now to attempt to make a pair of booties!

Fiona has some booties, but they keep falling off, and I was worried that one of her feet would be cold on the plane (because by the time we made it through the airport and onto the plane, I guarantee that one of them will be lost). So that's why this project couldn't wait. Really. It's not becuase I loathe packing and am a horrible procrastinator...

I had some really cheap fleece that I bought for sewing practice, and it seemed like a good thing to make booties with, so I thought I'd give it a go. I tried to draw round her foot, but she just thought it was a tickle game, and kept wriggling away, so I guessed the size I needed to make them...

It took a few attempts, but I think the first one turned out quite well, considering that booties are more complicated than napkins...


The difficulty came when trying to create a matching bootie... The second one (on the right) was significantly bigger, and looked kind of deformed...


Ben said they looked like Smurf shoes. I assumed that was a compliment. Still, I thought they'd probably do the job, so once Fiona woke up, I tried them on her feet...


After I knew where her feet were inside them, I trimmed the sides down a little (or a lot on the oversized one!) and now they fit really well. See, it was two hours well spent!

And now I need to get going, because between making the booties, and blogging about the booties, there's a lot left on my to do list!



1 comment:

Cathy said...

Have a wonderful trip. Keep blogging while you are gone. We will miss you. Party when you get back! By the way...I LOVE the booties. Very cool and I think the Smurf reference was a complete complement...I watch smurfs any chance I can get : )