Monday, September 26, 2011

Apples, Apples, Apples

Today we had a wonderful morning at Applewood Orchard with our friends. Fiona remembered going apple picking from last year and was super excited to pick apples again!

What's the best way to go apple picking? In a wagon, of course!





Apples were picked then there was some climbing on hay bales...
(All fun and games until you get spiky hay stuck in your tights!)

And some trying, and failing to get the girls to both look in my direction...



This group of inanimate objects was more cooperative.


After we got home it was time to figure out what to do with all of our delicious apples. My awesome, apple trip instigating friend Sang sent me this recipe which involved crescent rolls in a can, TWO STICKS of butter and a can of mountain dew (or MtnDew, as I guess they are calling it now) and it was so intriguing that I had to try it...

See, these are the real ingredients!

And I know you're thinking what I'm thinking... two of those ingredients are not really food based... but hey, you only prepare for your first coronary once...

So you are meant to use all those ingredients with only two apples, but I wanted to use more apples so I used seven (they were small) and stretched out the dough and wrapped 3 or 4 pieces up in each little dough triangle. Then came the stage when you're meant to melt two sticks of butter, mix it with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and drown the dough wrapped apples in that "sauce"but when it came down to it I just couldn't do it. I know, I'm ashamed. It just seemed excessive. So I melted one stick and added 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and poured that over the top. Then I used half of the can of MtnDew rather than the whole thing and poured it round the outside.

Here's the finished product...


I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and they were delicious. I'm sure the double fat double sugar double dew version would be a little better but these were really, really, really good.


Between us Ben and I managed to eat three... who wants to come over and help polish off the other 13?




3 comments:

Lori said...

ME!

Tanya Cothran said...

Yummy! Two sticks of butter for TWO apples! Wow, was it a Paula Dean recipe?? Oh, and I'd love to try one!!

Mum said...

I am always happy to help with leftover food - can you keep it in the freezer for me? Looks yummy!I love the pictures of the girls - looked like a lovely day.